Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Getting Ready For Race Weekend

Preparing for a race can be a very ritualistic process. The Black Girls Run! Race and Conference Weekend is probably the most fun to prepare for. Not only will I be preparing for an actual race, but I will be getting ready for multiple social and educational events which will require several wardrobe changes!(What, I am woman! I'm always looking for an opportunity to be cute!). Usually, when I am anticipating a race, I have a hard time sleeping the night before. I spend a few hours the eve of the race laying out my outfit, contemplating my pre-race and my after-race meal, and gathering my energy supplements for the event(goos, chews, water/gatorade mix). I lay my race number next to my outfit, take a picture, and then I try to dream happy dreams of running a personal best the next day. However, I usually only get about four hours sleep pre-race. Somehow, I still manage to be super hype when I wake up the next morning, only to crash hard after my delicious post-race reward meal. I'm grateful that the race is only one part of the weekend. Between the conference courses, the mixer, and formal dinner, maybe I will be extremely tired and get a full night sleep.

For some of you, this is not only your first race, it is your first race weekend. I am sure this sounds a bit overwhelming, but you can be sure that this is going to be the ultimate girls weekend(minus the race, which is open to men, women, and children). For someone who doesn't get out much, I look forward to all of the action. This weekend will be my time to focus on doing something I love, which is running. This is going to be a kids-free, hubby-free weekend, which is rare in my life :). I want to absorb all of the information that I can to be a better runner. I want to continue being passionate about running. I enjoy being around people who share the same interest. Believe it or not, outside of Black Girls Run! and the church running group I used to belong to, it is hard to find people in my immediate circle who share my appreciation for running. My husband thinks that it is great that I am doing something outside of work that I love, but he has no desire to ever run the way I do. I have friends who say, "Wow, you really like to run, huh?" but very few have ever tried to run on a consistent basis. So, to be around the kind of energy that will radiate from uptown Charlotte the weekend of September 6-8 is phenomenal and will be rejuvenating to my running spirit!

Sooooo... what is the best way to prepare for the Black Girls Run! Race and Conference weekend? Here's a few tips to get you started:
1. Like many of my favorite pastors would say, come with a spirit of expectancy. You will get out of the weekend what you put into it. The founders of Black Girls Run! (Ashley Hicks and Toni Carey) and their supporting staff are working hard to make sure that this experience will be well worth your time and money.

2.As a matter of fact, bring extra money because you are going to want to buy discounted products from the many vendors, and yours truly loves to shop for bargains!

3.Take notes so that you can accurately recall the new skills and tips you will learn for being a better runner.

4. Don't forget your race essentials! If you are traveling from far away, make sure you have a check off list so you won't forget your favorite running shoes and compression pants!

5. Come with an open mind. Last week, some of you were kind of baffled that Marion Jones was going to be the speaker for Saturday night's dinner. Well, I guess one could say it was a peculiar choice. Yet, I am excited to hear her story and I can attest to lessons being learned from even the worst of experiences.

6. Lastly, just come and have fun! Sure, if you're an avid runner, you may want to PR. However, don't let your need to score a personal best overshadow the experience of being apart of an incredible movement for improving the health of so many people. Remember the mission and why this organization was founded!

I look forward to seeing you all in Charlotte in a few weeks!


No comments:

Post a Comment