Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Paying to Sweat? Who Does That?

Who would pay to SWEAT? I've determined that people who run races should be declared mentally insane! Why would you pay to run in a crowd, in some weird city with people you don't know? You can run for free on familiar streets in your hometown most days without the hassle of trying to maneuver around a bunch of people who may or may not have the same mission as you do to run a personal best for that particular race. What is the thrill of getting a bunch of free bananas, bagels, power bars and gatorade? You've probably got your own runners' survival compound at home with a year's supply of all these goodies. Why do you need another cheesy t-shirt? Technically, the shirt isn't free if you paid a registration fee. However, these little perks are what make runners do the happy dance when they enter a race. Yeah, if I was someone looking from the outside into our running world, I'd think we were crazy, too.

Well, I'll tell you why a lot of us pay to sweat, and it is probably one of the most shallow reasons of all. We love the BLING! Oh yes, many of us will pay a fee to enter a race, shell out hundreds of dollars to travel to a race and stay in an expensive hotel( because you know the price was hiked up because of us running "nuts") all for a medal that probably costs about ten bucks to make. What sensible person does that? Since I have become a pretty avid runner, I've collected a few medals. There is a story behind each of them. I can tell you about the one I like the least(the one for my first half marathon was actually a Christmas ornament attached to a ribbon, talk about disappointed!) I can tell you about the one I love the most, thus far(for my second half marathon, the medal was a symbol of breast cancer awareness and had little dolphins on it because the race was in Florida). I can also tell you about being a little ticked off about not receiving medals for running 5Ks(those 3.1 miles are just as hard to run as 13.1, says the beginner runner. Darn it, you should get a medal!) The awesome thing about running the Black Girls Run! 5K and 10K races is that you get a medal for both races! Sure, medals may seem like a silly incentive for a race. Let's face it, most of us are recreational runners and we are not competing for Olympic gold. Yet to the person who has devoted days on end to hitting the pavement in order to achieve a life long goal, that medal symbolizes sweet victory and success. Whether you run 3.1 miles or 26.2 miles, you have earned the right to brag and be proud of yourself. I will even admit, I'm a little obnoxious when it comes to wearing my medals after a race. After my second half marathon, I wore my medal all day, stinky race clothes and all! I went to lunch with my husband that day, and I think he was even prouder of me than I was of me! Before I could utter the words to some stranger looking at my medal with curiosity, he would say, "My wife just finished running 13.1 miles today!" He actually got to be a witness to what I once thought was impossible. Those medals are symbols of dreams which have manifested into reality, and I will proudly display one whenever I get a chance to do so!

So, many of you may have already previewed the medals for this year's Black Girls Run! 5K and 10K races. They are pretty hot, aren't they? You've already designated a spot for it to hang on your custom-made medal rack, or dusted off a corner of your mantle piece to put your glorious medal on display. I ain't mad at ya! Currently, all of my medals sit above my fireplace. Another proud moment for me, is when my son brought home a little medal from school for participating in field day. He was so proud. He asked me, "Mommy, can I put my medal up there with yours?" See, not only am I creating memories and breaking down walls for myself. I am creating a legacy for my children. At five years old, my son already knows how important running is to me. I'm not just Mommy to him anymore, I'm his role model. When we get out there and race on September 8, I am so looking forward to the sea of women who will be amongst many runners in the community. Our children, husbands, siblings and parents will be looking on, seeing us do what many(including ourselves) doubt we ever could. I challenge you to run after that medal, cross that finish line with an exhausted smile on your face, and proudly wear your new jewelry! That day, you will earn your bragging rights. You will have a story to pass down to generations, and hopefully change your loved ones' perspective on the value of running for your health!

***We're a little over a week away from sweating with our soles! It is not too late to sign up for the Black Girls Run! Races and Conference. Prices will increase August 31!***


No comments:

Post a Comment